lørdag den 11. juni 2011

Nature in Design

If we look at an area such as a piece of pristine forest, everyone can agree on (if they do not believe that a giant spaghetti monster created the earth) that everything is happening is because of evolution. The reason that trees are not a twenty centimeters high, and squirrels are not neon green is that over millions of years, due to the natural selection, fairly hit what may be the optimum. If a squirrel was born with a glowing neon green color, it would not be able to hide from predators quickly be eaten, have no kids and the luminescent property would stop there.
But is evolution and natural selection did not also elsewhere than in the pristine nature? For instance, in design. Let's say I made a mug. When I make a mug, I spend much of the experience I already have to judge the mug, which is ergonomically nice to hold in your hand - the right volume, etc., etc. The experience I have mainly from the other mugs I have had, or maybe just one I've seen in a book. I am aware that you can get inspiration from many other places than any other mug, but to this thought experiment to work, you probably need to cut edges extra hard up, and other cups would otherwise, in most cases be a great inspiration. Let us therefore say that my redesigned cup will be the sum of all the good characteristics as smallpox, which has crossed my path holds. If my cup ends up meeting the criteria that makes it a good cup, it will probably be a success. So it will be produced in large numbers and it will come in books, internet etc. This way, a lot of people learn this cup to know, and some of them may be designers who designs a second cup, which takes some elements from my cup. If my cup is found not to function and becomes a flop, it will not be produced in particularly high numbers, not get in books and on the Internet and will as neon green squirrel does not conduct its properties further.
So you could say that natural selection also applies to designs. If we as human beings and culture as a part of nature, that would perhaps work saved. In that case, all among people, as indeed is the "nature", could be explained by natural selection. But many see this divide between nature and culture, it drops us maybe did not come naturally to this conclusion.