lørdag den 11. juni 2011

Conscription call

This message was generated, in an abbreviated version of policy 2 Section 9 p., d. 5 December, under the heading "You actually learn something useful by the military."

I have just completed my military service at Aalborg barracks. Four, in all ways, surprising months, with a myriad of different impression. Some good, some less good. The first was an immediate clear idea that I would not survive it. We started out hard with a wake up at five o'clock in the morning, then cleaning, personal hygiene, breakfast and the obligatory room overhaul. Not a pleasant morning for one who had just finished with summer holidays in the slow rate domain, and before that, a more tranquil life in high school. I walked and pondered how I wonder could escape, I could feign an injury, say that I had been unable the psychological, or a more alternative way as to suggest I smoke hashish or peed in the bed, all options that would guarantee a ticket to freedom on the other side of the "fence". But in the middle of my stream of thought struck me that if I implemented this, although it was not the best I knew, I would guarantee to emerge stronger from the other side. So I hung in, despite my skepticism military.
Now that I have finished I can look back and serve me a clearer picture of what military service is of a size that it is worth keeping and what it gives us young people who go through it. First the size: conscription is a powerful device, which must necessarily be expensive. Just take my barracks as an example, five hundred conscripts, plus a number of noncommissioned officers and officers. Military service wage is around. 6500 kr gross, and their 160 tax free food allowance per day. In total, giving it about 22.5 million in salaries - in four months, and this is only one barracks. In addition, a lot of extra expenses machinery; a loose shot cost approx. 3 dollars, and we shot them like a hundred in a field exercise, we had 7 of every 500 men! Rain itself. And the remarkable thing about conscription, and the Danish armed forces operating with the ratings is that they do not produce anything, but only consume. If so could just put us to do something constructive!
This was a mass talgymnastik which is palpable, but also has conscription also given me and hopefully the 499 other young men and women something more than that. I would then think that I am in the process have learned a number of useful properties that I can take with me. For example, we have gone through a long course with first aid at a high level of education so that I have evidence from the Danish Førstehjælpsråd, something which I think everyone should hold. We also had a cycle of "Fire, Environment and Rescue" which gave us a range of skills to combat burn props buildings to create simple, dams and save lives, again properties that are relevant in everyday life. The military has also modified, or provided input to the mind. My kompagnis motto was (well at Jutland) "Bli 'vc'", and it is something you can remember, and if you can live up to it, can go far. In addition, there was a core set of virtues which we were taught: cooperation, courtesy, punctuality, industriousness, and a number of other human characteristics.
Well I must assess whether it has been such an experience that I would like to see others get it, I must respond partially yes. There is obviously a lot of acidic things about being conscripted, it will often be far away, you have to live with a lot of people you do not know, and do not necessarily care about, we must learn to abide by his superiors, etc. However, while it teaches one a lot, not least about himself, and a quote sounds too "The sweet is not quite as sweet without the sour."